UPDATE: Congressman Joe Garcia (U.S. Representative from Florida’s 26th District and chief sponsor of a comprehensive immigration reform plan in the House of Representatives) will be joining the hangout to give us the much needed legislative perspective on this issue.
Last week, I hosted some of the top leaders of the immigration reform movement, in a discussion that summarized the current status of the fight for a solution to this issue. One main point that transpired from that conversation is the vast diversity of stakeholders within the movement. In the past couple of years, for example, we’ve seen the increased involvement of tech giants, such as Microsoft, Facebook and others who are making a concerted effort to keep the conversations going about the issue and to help secure the passage of a comprehensive immigration reform bill.
This coming Tuesday, I’d like to explore the industry’s involvement and impact within the movement, the promise as well as the practical challenges of technology to solve social issues like immigration reform. To discuss this, I have invited some of the people leading the way for tech in immigration:
• Hanna Siegel, Chief of Staff at the Partnership for a New American Economy
• Alida García, Coalitions and Policy Director at FWD.us
• Jimmy Hernández, Immigration Campaign Manager at Voto Latino
• Felice Gorordo, CEO, Clearpath
• Congressman Joe Garcia (U.S. Representative from Florida’s 26th District and chief sponsor of a comprehensive immigration reform plan in the House of Representatives)
Please join us this coming Tuesday, May 20th at 7pm ET on my Google+ Hangout on Air and send in your questions using hashtag #Tech4CIR. See you then!